Stephen Hawking dies at 76

rant & rave, shoot da'shit, drop a link, whatever....
Forum rules
"No Flaming" rule will be loosely enforced considering nature of discussion. All other forum rules still apply.

Unread postby boomersooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:42 pm

It's miraculous that Hawking lived this long. Amazing man and the scientic genius of our time. RIP

Code: Select all
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008
...there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Senior Poster

Unread postby Sally » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:55 am

No way was he the real deal. Obviously got somebody in that looked like him.

People with motor neurons disease (Luke Garricks disease) are not likely to live past 5 years after diagnosis. He allegedly had it for years & years.

Not buying it.
Sally
Out Of The Blocks Poster

Re: Stephen Hawking dies at 76

Unread postby Mugwump » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Sally wrote:No way was he the real deal. Obviously got somebody in that looked like him.

People with motor neurons disease (Luke Garricks disease) are not likely to live past 5 years after diagnosis. He allegedly had it for years & years.

Not buying it.

read up before before forming opinions..

How Hawking's disease progressed

Professor Hawking had just turned 21 when he was diagnosed with a very rare slow-progressing form of ALS, a form of motor neurone disease (MND).

He was at the end of his time at Oxford when he started to notice early signs of his disease. He was getting more clumsy and fell over several times without knowing why.
An extraordinary life in pictures

Stephen Hawking floats in a zero-gravity chamber.

From zero-gravity chambers to the premiere of a film about his life, look back at Stephen Hawking's life in pictures.

In comments published in a 2002 British Medical Journal article close to his 60th birthday, Professor Hawking recalled going to hospital for medical tests.

"I was in for two weeks, during which I had a wide variety of tests. After all that, they didn't tell me what I had, except that it was not multiple sclerosis, and that I was an atypical case.

"I gathered, however, that they expected it to continue to get worse, and that there was nothing they could do, except give me vitamins.

"I could see that they didn't expect them to have much effect. I didn't feel like asking for more details, because they were obviously bad.

"The realization that I had an incurable disease that was likely to kill me in a few years was a bit of a shock."

The details Professor Hawking didn't want to ask for are very grim.

The average life expectancy of someone with MND is between two and three years, most people die within five. Professor Hawking lived for more than five decades after he was diagnosed.

But his health was affected significantly within a few years of his diagnosis.

By the late 1960s, he was using a wheelchair to move around and was having trouble writing.

His speech began to deteriorate in the 1970s.

In 1985 he became ill with pneumonia on a trip to CERN in Geneva. To help him breathe again, doctors did a tracheotomy, which meant they had to cut a hole in his neck and place a tube into his windpipe. Professor Hawking irreversibly lost the ability to speak.

From then on he spoke through his computer system — which he operated with his cheek — and had to have around-the-clock care.

How did he survive for so long?

Every time Professor Hawking passed a milestone, medical experts speculated as to why he survived for so much longer than most people with ALS.

In the BMJ article, Professor Nigel Leigh of King's College, London, said he was "not aware of who has survived with MND as long. What is unusual is not only the length of time, but that the disease seems to have almost burnt out".

Professor Leigh suggested those who develop the condition when they were younger tended to survive longer, sometimes for as long as 10 years.

"Among people in their 50s and 60s, there is a 50 per cent chance of surviving four years or so. It is a different beast if you start young, oddly, and no one knows why.

"But even some forms of MND that start in the [patient's] 50s or 60s can be slowly progressive."

In 2012, when Professor Hawking reached 70, Scientific American interviewed Associate Professor Leo McCluskey from the ALS Centre at the University of Pennsylvania.

He also made the point that the early onset of Professor Hawking's disease was likely part of the reason why it had progressed so slowly.

But he also suggested that Professor Hawking's survival was likely due to a combination of the care he received and the biology of his illness.

"If he really isn't on a ventilator, then it's his biology—it's the biology of his form of the neurodegenerative disease that determines how long he will live.

"For trouble swallowing, you can elect to have a feeding tube placed, which basically takes malnutrition and dehydration off the table.

"But mostly it's about the biology of the disease."

Professor Hawking said he believed the disease had many different causes and that his may be have been due to the poor absorption of vitamins.

What is ALS?

Also referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease, ALS is the most common type of MND, involving the degeneration and eventual loss of the nerves that relay signals to the muscles.

(To clarify, MND is the widely used generic term in Australia, the UK and parts of Europe. ALS is used more generically in the United States, Canada and South America.)
13 times art met Hawking science

A still of Professor Hawking's character on The Simpsons.

Stephen Hawking made numerous appearances in television programs and music, carving out a spot in popular culture.

The damage can happen in the brain, the spinal cord or peripheral nerves, which connect the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body.

It causes involuntary muscle contraction, also known as spasticity, alongside weakness and muscle wasting.

The disease affects men and women equally. It usually begins in mid- to late adult life and gets more common with age, although more people appear to be developing MND in early adult life.

We don't know what causes the majority of cases of motor neurone disease.

About 5 or 10 per cent of cases are inherited, and the genetic link of about 60 per cent of these cases is now known in Australian families.

As the condition progresses, the symptoms get worse, more areas become involved and function is progressively lost.

Eventually paralysis strikes the muscles of the throat, diaphragm and chest, causing difficulties swallowing and breathing.

The senses of eyesight, hearing, taste, smell and touch aren't affected, and nor is bladder and bowel function.

Distressingly, the patient remains fully conscious and aware as they become progressively paralysed.

Death is usually caused by respiratory failure or pneumonia.
Mugwump
Senior Poster

Stephen Hawking died ages ago

Unread postby Sally » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 pm

No matter how you dress this up or whichever Wikipedia page you quote from, it is not physically possible to live more than 10-15 years (at best!) when diagnosed with ALS. No matter what treatment is given or how early it is diagnosed, the life expectancy is minimal afterwards.

According to your own quote, he was diagnosed when he was 21. Add 15 to that = 36. Now to live until he's in his 70's is preposterous to say the least. There is no logic to your argument.

Look at the pictures of the 'so-called' Hawking on the net, it's laughable that this is 1 of the same man. Teeth and other facial features don't even match. Nature doesn't lie.

I suggest you look this up sensibly and not quote somebody else's scripture, which is more wrong than a £9 note.
Sally
Out Of The Blocks Poster

Stephen Hawking dies at 76 - yeah right

Unread postby Sally » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:57 pm

Spot the difference!

Sally
Out Of The Blocks Poster

Unread postby Mugwump » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:22 am

...different ages......but carry on with your pseudo conspiracy theory.......have fun.............
Mugwump
Senior Poster

Unread postby Dash » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 am

I remember watching a documentary a few years ago. It was about some of his theories. Some of the narration was supposed to be by SH. I remember thinking at that time that it would have been easy to
fake that narration, the robotic voice and all. It would also be easy enough for SH supporters to fake a lot of things if he was as bad off physically as it appears.

That being stated, I can be skeptical as to what is attributed to him.
Dash
Respected Poster

Unread postby Mugwump » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:28 am

Well he's dead now.......so have fun bashing him......
Mugwump
Senior Poster

Unread postby Dash » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 am

Sorry if you got the impression I was 'bashing' SH. That was not my purpose. I did not state anything in a bad light about him. I did state that it would be easy to fake a speech attributed to him. Whether he died recently or years ago is of no concern for me.
Dash
Respected Poster

Unread postby Sally » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:...different ages......but carry on with your pseudo conspiracy theory.......have fun.............

I don't have conspiracy theories about SH, I just know it isn't possible for anyone with his condition to live more than a decade after diagnosis.

So now you can carry on sticking your head in the sand and believing everything the press tell you. Go back to bed, everything will be ok in the morning.

As for the pics, his teeth don't tell lies despite any time between either pictures.
Sally
Out Of The Blocks Poster

Next

Return to da'Lounge