A question

rant & rave, shoot da'shit, drop a link, whatever....
Forum rules
"No Flaming" rule will be loosely enforced considering nature of discussion. All other forum rules still apply.

Re: A question

Unread postby boomersooner » Sat May 19, 2018 9:50 pm

He doesn't have a mask, either, Emily. I'm extremely sensitive to SO2. I'd be passed out in respiratory arrest before I got that close. For some reason I get the impression you and others think those folks are living around the volcano and lava is rolling slowly down the sides of it toward them - plenty of time to leave, etc. Not quite the situation. Without even considering the poisonous air, which is what has principally kept people away from checking their homes, they were in more danger than that . There are, I believe, now more than 20 fissures around the summit and erupting within inhabited areas.

Wouldn't you feel a bit insecure knowing one of those could pop up right outside my back door, or worse, from under the house, while you slept? :shock:

Not for me, Emily.

PS: there have been people who make a living close to and inside tornadoes. Check this out, if you haven't seen it yet in the years I've had it up.:

http://beerfarts.us.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63637&p=220533#p220533
...there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Honored Member

Unread postby Emily » Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am

I remember that thread :)

I've been to Kilauea. Got a breath full of SO2 as well. Nasty stuff.

But yeah, I know folks that live down slope of approaching lava. Some even had time to get their homes trucked away in time, other homes could not be moved as they were just too big. But many of those affected had time to get two or more truckfulls of their possessions out of their home before they were engulfed by lava. As for the SO2, it is a problem, but only really bad if you stepped across a vent when it decided to burp like I did. Further away it is foul, but not deadly with limited exposure and diluted, unless you have a condition. So yes, don't stay in the some for long times.

Tornadoes don't give you much of a chance if you are in their path.

Funny that living close to a volcano like Kilauea is a great place to have a mobile home, but tornadoes seem attracted to mobile homes.
Nothing limits intelligence more than ignorance; nothing fosters ignorance more than one's own opinions; nothing strengthens opinions more than refusing to look at reality.
Sherri Tepper
Emily
Honored Member

Unread postby boomersooner » Sun May 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I'd never live in a mobile home in Oklahoma and not just because of tornadoes - severe thunderstorm winds and even strong low pressure systems can topple one unless it's really well tied down.

Tornadoes seem attracted to mobile homes, because while other stronger buildings might be able to remain standing in a lower end twister, it will demolish nearby mobile dwellings.

Let's hope that the incident with that one unfortunate fellow ** will awaken others to the dangers of staying back and gawking at the eruption.

People in Oklahoma, btw, are known for going outside to look for the twister upon issuance of a warning.

Edit(09:47 pm):

Hawaii volcano activity prompts new threats as man seriously injured from lava spatter

By Katherine Lam | Fox News

A man was seriously injured when he was hit with lava spatter while standing on his third-floor balcony — the first known injury related to Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano eruptions as new volcanic activity creates new threats in surrounding neighborhoods.

The homeowner on Noni Farms Road in Pahoa was hit with lava on the shin and taken to the hospital with serious injuries, Janet Snyder, spokeswoman for the Office of the Mayor, told Reuters."It hit him on the shin, and shattered everything from there down on his leg," Snyder said, adding that the lava spatter could weigh “as much as a refrigerator.”

“And even small pieces of spatter can kill,” she said

http://tinyurl.com/ybctchwz
...there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Honored Member

Previous

Return to da'Lounge