A question

rant & rave, shoot da'shit, drop a link, whatever....
Forum rules
"No Flaming" rule will be loosely enforced considering nature of discussion. All other forum rules still apply.

Re: A question

Unread postby Dash » Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 am

People live near volcanoes for several reasons. Among those reasons are mineral rich soil for crops. Now, how many people are injured or killed by volcanoes every year?

People live near or close to water like rivers, lakes and oceans. You can drown in water. People still surf and play in waters where Sharks live and feed. Why?

Other people drive vehicles while drunk or stoned. Some insist on driving and talking on a cell phone or worse, texting and driving. Many people eat foods that have been know to cause horrible diseases.

Humans have been taking risks for a long time. We can ask, Is it a smart move to live near a volcano?. What is the risk? Can you afford that risk?

Lots of folks still live in New Orleans.
Dash
Respected Poster

Unread postby GBDU » Fri May 11, 2018 5:52 am

Got that right Dash,
-
and for example, people still live along or on top of the Saint Andreas Fault
no idea how many, must be millions, but they are all taking a decent risk...as far as Victoria in Canada

Image.
-
PS. Boomer!!!
Got your bags ready??

Code: Select all
https://newsok.com/earthquakes
If it flies,floats or fucks, rent it!!
GBDU
Honored Member

Unread postby boomersooner » Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 am

...there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Senior Poster

Unread postby Emily » Fri May 11, 2018 7:09 pm

In May 3, 1999, a massive tornado tore through the Oklahoma City area. Known today as the Bridge Creek-Moore Tornado, it’s infamous for its size (a mile wide) and strength (wind speeds reached 300 miles per hour.

I drove through this area about a month after the tornado hit. The houses and wreckage had already been cleared. But it was still obvious something horrendous had happened.

Oklahoma City seems to have a bulls-eye painted on it when it comes to tornadoes, but none so far this year. Now I got to go and knock on some wood.
Nothing limits intelligence more than ignorance; nothing fosters ignorance more than one's own opinions; nothing strengthens opinions more than refusing to look at reality.
Sherri Tepper
Emily
Senior Poster

Unread postby boomersooner » Fri May 11, 2018 9:07 pm

We haven't had any serious tornadoes lately, Emily, but Norman, just south of OKC and Moore had another one inside their city limits, on May 3,just before this article at WUWT, actually:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05/04/new-drought-record-no-tornadoes-so-far-this-year-in-oklahoma/

Central Oklahoma will always be a favored location for twisters, due to geography - easy access to rich gulf moisture in the Eastern half of the state, separated from extremely dry air( denser) pulled from the southwest by low pressure systems that form on the lee side of the Rockies. The resulting quasi-frontal dry-line likes to set up over the middle of the state from north to south.There are other factors involved like the jet stream and a cap separating the moist air near the surface from cold air aloft that is largely a result of the high elevations to the west. Storms form and are at their strongest just east of the dry-line over this area. If you look at a map, you will notice that a line drawn south of OKC will intersect the western edge of the Gulf of Mexico - a hint at why dry-lines favor the central part of the state. The same situation at various times can be found north into Kansas and Nebraska and south into central Texas.

Back to OKC tornadoes. From a comment on the article I linked above:

There were 5 EF4 -EF5 ( the Moore EF5 )twisters within 10 miles of Norman Oklahoma in the period 2010-2013. In addition there were, as I count, 12 EF0-EF2 tornadoes in the same area, including the EF1 that went through the center of town in 2012 and a couple more inside the city limits.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-county-ok-cleveland
https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-county-ok-mcclain

I remember just about every single one of those tornadoes, where they were, where I was - especially the bad ones. I remember driving past the damage in 1999, also, Emily - bare 2X4s etc, and shredded trees was all there was east and west along I-35. On the day of the 2013 Moore tornado, I decided to go check my safe deposit box in the vault at the bank branch I use as the storms approached. :D

This last period was still a very unusual period for the number of EF4-EF5 twisters in these parts, however, even considering the Moore tornado in 1999 and another in 2003. We seem to be in a down cycle, right now. I've always thought it has something to do with solar activity( we are near a minimum).

I guess its just a matter of preference, but I have an idea when there is chance of tornadoes on a given day - they are quite good at predicting big outbreaks, especially. I can't imagine sleeping over a pool of lava close enough to the surface that it can rise through a crack into your house or yard. Earthquakes aren't much better, for that matter - at least the big ones ion California. I've felt a couple in Oklahoma, but they were curiosities, more than anything. The damage near the epicenters was largely to old brick and mortar buildings and stuff knocked off store shelves.
...there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Senior Poster

Unread postby GBDU » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm

GBDU
Honored Member

Unread postby boomersooner » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 am

That's true enough, Boss :lol: - I'd be bored without our volatile weather, as long as the tornadoes(and large hail) stay in open country. Earthquakes are just icing on the cake. The sign could be real; at least it wouldn't surprise me.

H.L. Mencken
boomersooner
Senior Poster

Hawaii's Volcano Kilauea spews out 'ballistic blocks'

Unread postby GBDU » Thu May 17, 2018 5:18 am

A Hawaiian volcano is blasting out "ballistic blocks" the size of kitchen appliances and the authorities are warning it could get worse.

Since a new zone of Mount Kilauea began erupting almost two weeks ago, lava has wrecked dozens of homes and forced hundreds of people to be evacuated.

An ash plume rising up to two miles (more than 3,000m) prompted officials to warn pilots to avoid the area.

Quakes as strong as magnitude 4.4 have been felt on the largest island.

The floor of the volcano's caldera (the bowl where lava erupts) is deflating, causing stress at the volcano's base.

This is causing earthquakes and new fissures to open in the ground, and creating the risk of new, highly explosive steam-powered eruptions as the magma meets underground water.
The ash plume can be seen from the International Space Station.

read more here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44152515
GBDU
Honored Member

Unread postby toechief » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

People don't think ahead.
Seizure Warning: Not for people with photosensitive epilepsy.
toechief
Champitus Legenda

Unread postby Emily » Sat May 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey Boomer! Would you get this close to a tornado? Proof that lava is safer than tornadoes, especially for stupid people.

Nothing limits intelligence more than ignorance; nothing fosters ignorance more than one's own opinions; nothing strengthens opinions more than refusing to look at reality.
Sherri Tepper
Emily
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to da'Lounge